4 Common Mistakes When Burning Candles and How to Fix

4 Common Mistakes When Burning Candles and How to Fix

By Damon Routzhan

4 Common Mistakes When Burning Candles and How to Fix

Before we began making candles, I didn't know anything about taking proper care of my candles, so they are at their best until the very end. After learning this proper candle care, I realized how simple and surprising it is that most people don't know about it.

 

Burning a candle for a short period of time.

Let's say you're going to take a shower or a bath, and you feel like lighting a candle to create some relaxing atmosphere. Once you're done, you blow out your candle, and you notice only a small part has melted.

 

Unfortunately, when we let the candle burn for a short amount of time, a funnel starts forming, which means that next time you light it, that funnel will grow, and the wax closer to the vessel won't melt. This is a very common mistake that everyone has made at least once, but the solution is super easy to prevent this!

 

Solution: Let your candle burn for a longer period before deciding to blow it out - make sure you do this each time - and double-check that the top layer of the candle has melted evenly. By doing this, you avoid creating a funnel and have a good-shaped candle until the very end.

 

Burning a candle for too long

There is always a maximum amount of time recommended to burn your candle; otherwise, it could become unstable and not be the safest to have around.

 

Many people enjoy going to sleep with a burning candle on their nightstand, and I must admit the idea is quite cozy. However, it's not the safest, and we discourage it.

 

What happens when you let your candle burning for too long? Carbon will start collecting on your wick, which is known as "mushrooming". This can cause many things: the wick to become unstable, the flame to get too large, your candle to smoke, and soot to be released into the air and around your candle container. 

 

Solution: Burn your candles a maximum of 4 hours at a time and never leave it unattended.

 

Not trimming the wick of the candle.

This is something that I never thought about before I became a candle maker, but since I've begun doing it, it's made such a big difference.

 

As I mentioned before, carbon collecting on the wick is something known as "mushrooming." This will happen after burning the candle a few times, and it can be easily identified when there is a little black mushroom-shaped piece on the top of your wick.

 

Lighting a "mushroom" can lead a wick to crackle and pop and release soot into the air and onto your candle vessel. 

 

Solution: Always trim your wicks to 1/4 inch before lighting and never burn for more than 4 hours; otherwise, carbon will start to accumulate again. Doing this will make your candle stable and safe.

 

There is nothing like having a "healthy" candle throughout its whole life, and applying these quick tips will really change the experience for the better.